Thursday, June 11, 2009

More RED...

My pal, Wildstorm Senior Editor Ben Abernathy, has posted over on The Bleed about the end of PLANETARY (written by my RED and DOWN cohort Warren Ellis, drawn by supergod John Cassaday, and colored by my now-studiomate Laura Martin). An interesting bit is at the end, complete with scans of half-finished pages from six years ago. These were hand-lettered on the boards by the legendary John Costanza, the last such job I ever worked on:

We’ve got another bonus this month for Warren Ellis fans—a reprinting of the killer RED series he did with the incomparable Cully Hamner (which is being developed into a movie, too, by Summit Entertainment!). It’s a special treat for fans of the story, as it reprints the miniseries AND has a ton of special “bonus” extras in the back (and it’s a solo reprinting, unlike the original version that had it as a flipbook with another series). Since I worked on the original mini, I thought it might be cool to have a peek at a couple elements that not even this exhaustive reprinting could show off. Enjoy!


I didn't even know he still had these! Anyway, enjoy.

7 comments:

Tony Shasteen said...

these are great! I loved this book. It was one that changed the way I thought of comics... in a good way.

Cully Hamner said...

Aw, Tony... you're the shiznit.

Lan Pitts said...

blast from the past. looks great!

Roger said...

Damn man, I'm going to have to buy this one. You're not going to go all Hollyweird and make us have Rosanna deprogram you, right?

Steven Wilcox said...

Just got the new trade... Loved it. Especially the lscript to layout to inked pages section in the back. This is the trade that should've been all those years ago...

Steven Wilcox said...

Man, my typing sucks...

Brian said...

Ah, yes! The page layouts in this book blew me away. Also Cully's balance between realistic and cartoony border on Mike Golden brilliance! I think Pearson may be the only other guy that can do it with the same great results. I've been buying back issue sets of this book and gifting it to friends and family. And I just bought the new trade. This is one of my favorite comicbooks of this decade.