Sunday, May 31, 2009

A New Smell On The Horizon

So, sometimes I make a stink.

Oh, not like that, but on Teh Internetz. I've been known to-- oh, how shall we say it?-- wade into discussions on various boards if I don't like or agree with what someone has said. It could be a point on which I disagree politically. I could be defending a friend. Anything, really. Except... well, I don't talk about myself that much, really, and I don't talk about what it is that I do as an artist unless asked. For years, I've watched friends and fellow artists blog about anything and everything, and have rarely felt the urge to blog-- at least not a whole lot more than reposting articles and such over on MySpace, and posting on the Gaijin Studios Forum. Truth be told, I don't post anywhere nearly as much as I used to. But lately, I've felt that maybe I should have a centralized place for...

See, this is my problem. I don't have any idea what this blog should be. My ol' pal Mike Wieringo had one of the best blogs I've ever seen with his sketch blog. I don't think I could ever match that or even come close. I'm not even sure I could pull off a proper art blog, even though I sometimes surprise myself with how much drawing I accumulate at the end of a year.

Anyone who knows me will tell you I have strong opinions about a lot of things, but I don't know that this should be a pure opinion blog, either. I don't want this to be a political blog, obviously... but I like politics, and consider myself invested in the world. I'm not sure I can totally avoid talking about it.

So, I throw it to you: What do you want a blog by me to be? Art/sketch blog? Philosophy and craft? Personal journal? Cultural and political commentary? Rants? A mix?

14 comments:

redcrow said...

All of the above, man. Art, process, and yes please, politics. Some of my European friends are perplexed by how most Americans shy away from talking about politics. I personally think it's contributed to the sharp divisions between the parties -- no one seems to talk to anyone they might disagree with anymore. But really, the more you talk to someone on the "other side", the more you find you have in common. So talk on!

aris said...

What ever suits you at the moment. Bring it.

In addition. You never post enough art work man. I know you got sketch work and old production art laying around please share.


And welcome to the Blogosphere. Im gonna throw your link on mine. www.arisverse.blogspot.com

:)

-aris

Cully Hamner said...

This, Aris! I'll do likewise. In fact, when you're "Aris Asks..." with me goes up, that should warrant a post here in and of itself...

Jake Ekiss said...

I agree with eveybody else. do whatever feels right and after a few posts you'll get into a groove you like. I've had two blogs in my life and they were very very different, but they very well reflected the times of my life when I was writing.

Also, that's the best opening line from a blog I've seen in awhile.

davejohnsonart said...

Post some art, Red! :)

Wade said...

I think you should blog endlessly about your preference between boxers and briefs and should reject the urge to use my name a verb. Other than that, what's the point?

Patman said...

How about a politcal art blog. Who knows, it could get syndicated.

Roger said...

Whatever you want to dude. I'll follow you if you follow Barb's (http://robbingpeter.wordpress.com/), just don't tell her I sent you.

You ever read Mojo's?

http://darthmojo.wordpress.com/

onegemini said...

Personally, I'd like to see an art blog, as I do that, and then bitch about political/personal stuff on my Facebook and Livejournal (old school) accounts, as I like to have some commiseration in my misery/happines, and I get that from friends. Well, those and Twitter, so I can bitch briefly to whoever is listening and throw a link to whatever sucks at that moment.

I've been pretty good with my art blog by sticking to art, though damn if I don't want to go off-track once in a while.

But, in the end, it's all you and what you want to do.

I'll link you. Here's me - http://onegemini.blogspot.com

~B

Cully Hamner said...

Yeah, but the point is that I don't want to be on all those different places. I don't have the time to be on Facebook, MySpace, AND the Gaijin message board. I'll be phasing out MySpace, at least, and if I post anything on Facebook, it'll be a link to whatever I'm doing here.

In any case, it seems the consensus is for me to do a mix. So, look for about a post a week to start, with more or less given the time I have...

aris said...

The interview is up Cully.

Thanks for taking the time. I appreciate it.

Although I did expect video of you jumping up and down after reading question #15.


:)

samax said...

all of the above. don't pressure yourself with a theme. mix it all together and your blog's identity will emerge on its own.

but you better post some fresh drawings! LOL!
holla!
-samax

Rowan's Dad said...

I think, and it has been said a few times already, that these blogs work best when they don't stick to just one thing. I love checking out my favorite creators' blogs in order to see new art, hear some information on upcoming work or see their process, but I also love getting a chance to learn a little more about them beyond their work. In this way, you have a chance to share your thoughts, see what commonalities you may posses---you know, put a little personality with the face and art. So thanks for taking your time to share with your fans, and good luck with the blog.

Gort said...

What they sed. It should be about he "who arted". That's you. So whatever, sir.